Decrease key apply at the moment at Saint Vincent Faculty. Group not working in pads, simply shells, which I consider is NFL mandated. However staff ought to be again in pads tomorrow. Nice climate, good crowd, so let’s speak about what occurred at the moment.
We’re thrilled to once more have Len Testa and Touring Plans as a yearly sponsor of Steelers Depot’s coaching camp protection. They’ve been a long-time sponsor of the positioning and our camp notes. You should utilize their journey planner instrument to “present you the least crowded park to go to daily, custom-made touring plans for visiting Disney’s greatest rides, trustworthy restaurant opinions, how you can save on Disney tickets, one of the best lodge rooms to ask for, and a lot extra.”
When you’re planning a visit to Disney, that is the staff you wish to work with. Attain out to them by way of their web site on the hyperlink right here.
Camp Notes (Day Seven)
– Harm Report: Not working towards at the moment included: RB Najee Harris (foot), RB Jeremy McNichols (shoulder, he’s reverted to IR), WR Chase Claypool (proper shoulder), S Karl Joseph (private), S Miles Killebrew (pec), LB Marcus Allen (hamstring), TE Pat Freiermuth (hamstring), CB Levi Wallace (sickness), and OT Chukwuma Okorafor (unknown). Didn’t see Okorafor initially of apply however he was on the sector partway by. No seen signal of an damage that saved him out however he appears to be coping with one thing. Freiermuth went by among the TE drills, on the chutes and sled, at only a barely slower pace than the opposite, totally wholesome tight ends. He’s very near a return. Claypool isn’t far behind and ran aggressively on the facet throughout particular groups periods. Clearly he’s not coping with a leg damage however shifting his physique round like which means he’s very shut. Freiermuth may very well be again by tomorrow and it wouldn’t shock me.
DL Cam Heyward and EDGE T.J. Watt have been on the sector however didn’t undergo staff periods at the moment. Wholesome simply confirmed guys who might use some breaks. Probabilities for youthful guys to work. Derrek Tuszka acquired first staff reps at LOLB, Isaiahh Loudermilk at RDE with the 1’s.
– Newly signed RB Grasp Teague III will take McNichols’ outdated variety of 33. Teague labored full at the moment and is a rocked up, enormous operating again. Simply how Pittsburgh likes them.
– Referees have been readily available for at the moment’s apply. Think about they’ll grasp across the subsequent couple of days.
– Regardless of it being 90 levels at the moment, as he nearly all the time attire, Mike Tomlin was in all-black. Lengthy sleeves, lengthy pants. His signal of solidarity with the staff.
– With Okorafor out, Joe Haeg and Trent Scott rotated in at RT. Haeg acquired first crack however he didn’t run with the 1’s all day. Kevin Dotson labored 1st staff LG to start out with the 2nd staff line wanting like:
However there’s been numerous mixing and matching and I noticed Leglue work at left deal with at the moment. He’s persevering with to showcase his versatility.
– Even on warmups and in air, Matt Canada yelling out the basics: “Ball safety, ball safety, ball safety!” he referred to as out.
– Mitch Trubisky briefly held for kicks throughout warmups at the moment. No precise kicks however a rep or two in case of emergency, one thing that was wanted final 12 months.
– I’ll should test my notes however Anthony Miller could have set – or at the least tied – the punt return problem at the moment with seven footballs caught, falling down on his again on the seventh however making the play nonetheless. He didn’t even think about attempting eight but it surely was a job nicely completed.
– Frisman Jackson’s voice is definitely heard throughout positional work with the receivers all the time engaged on the close to area closest to the followers/bleachers.
“Get out of there!” he yelled to Tyler Snead, urging him to get vertical faster on his go route.
– Lastly, now we have some punting information for you. Working in full at the moment. Do wish to observe the first-team upback/wing mixture noticed Tre Norwood because the beginning upback with Benny Snell because the left wing and Donovan Stiner as the precise wing. First rate signal for Stiner. Jaylen Warren labored as second staff upback with Anthony McFarland proper wing and Javon McKinley left wing. Marcus Allen is generally the beginning upback however is sidelined and watched through the session.
Okay, listed here are hangtimes and yardages for the punters. The primary punt listed is from the offense’s 45, a extra coffin nook/pin deep punt, so I don’t have yardage for that, although neither recorded a touchback. I’ve hangtimes for that. The remainder are open air punts, one on the one yard line and the remaining on the offense’s 21 the place I’ve hangtime and yardage and any particular notes for beneath.
Pressley Harvin III: 4.59, 4.72 (57 yards), 4.77 (48 yards), 4.69 (36 yards), 4.82 (47 yards), 4.66 (47 yards, ball landed out of bounds although), 5.05 (49 yards).
Cameron Nizialek: 4.29, 4.73 (60 yards), 4.72 (56 yards), 4.86 (52 yards, out of bounds), 4.66 (55 yards), 3.84 (30 yards, shanked out of bounds proper sideline).
Nizialek had higher distance, Harvin higher hangtime and Harvin was a little bit extra constant. So I’ll give Harvin the sting right here. Each have been good, not nice general.
– Didn’t observe kickers a lot at the moment however Nick Sciba did hit one from 50 yards out. Appeared like he had an excellent session general with a stable leg.
– Some fast 7v7 highlights.
– CB Ahkello Witherspoon had a pleasant breakup on an beneath throw for Calvin Austin III.
– Kenny Pickett placed on the cash to TE Jace Sternberger for a few 15-yard completion over the center, hitting him completely in stride and in a decent window.
– Buddy Johnson with a fast flash, breaking apart a Hank route (curl) for Sternberger. Good play there.
– Chris Steele high-pointed and broke up throw deep down the left sideline from Trubisky meant for Tyler Snead, who almost nonetheless caught it on the best way down however didn’t.
– Alright let’s speak staff periods.
First Group Session (Seven Pictures)
1. Moore-Dotson-Cole-Daniels-Haeg the primary staff OL. 12 personnel with Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader. Mitch Trubisky in at QB. Cody White and George Pickens the 2 beginning receivers. Devin Bush in at ILB, Benny Snell the RB. Trubisky appears to be like to fireplace proper facet however the go is tipped on the line of scrimmage and falls incomplete.
2. Empty set. Trubisky hits Anthony Miller on a pace out for the rating working away from Arthur Maulet. First offensive TD Trubisky’s had in awhile.
3. Good zip on a throw behind the tip zone from Trubisky to George Pickens in opposition to Ahkello Witherspoon. I believed he caught it however others say it was a drop. So I’ll defer to them for now and if that modifications, I’ll replace this put up.
4. Mason Rudolph in at QB, one rep sooner than regular. Empty set. Delontae Scott rushes in free from his LOLB spot for a would-be sack. Rudolph throw behind the tip zone for Steven Sims is incomplete.
5. Playaction with Rudolph rolling proper. This time full to Sims on a diving rating.
6. Rudolph nonetheless in, empty set. Jaylen Warren cut up out slot left. Fast out to him is full in opposition to Ulysees Gilbert III for the TD.
7. Kenny Pickett with the rep to complete issues out. Mataeo Durant in at RB. WR Javon McKinley out broad because the X receiver, Tyler Snead the F/slot receiver. Shovel go from Pickett to Connor Heyward who runs over the objective line for the rating. Faked a throw within the left flat to Durant who was operating out the flat proper earlier than the snap of the ball.
With the Pickens drop, offense nonetheless wins but it surely’s tighter, a 4-3 resolution of their favor.
Second Group Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 18. Chris Wormley-Montravius Adams-Isaiahh Loudermilk the bottom line of defense. Robert Spillane and Devin Bush the ILBs, Derrek Tuszka and Alex Highsmith the OLBs. Damontae Kazee and Terrell Edmunds the protection pairing with Trent Scott operating first staff RT. Kendrick Inexperienced in at LG. Cody White and George Pickens the WRs. Benny Snell up the center with Adams getting off a block to get arms on him. No tackling at the moment in pads. Acquire of three.
2. Snell one other carry proper facet. Acquire of three. Damontae Kazee fills the alley nicely.
3. Snell another time for 2. Run session much less attention-grabbing in shells.
4. Carlos Davis and Henry Mondeaux the DTs. Justin Layne and James Pierre the surface CBs with Arthur Maulet inside. Trubisky boots proper and hits Calvin Austin for 5. Delontae Scott acquired free strain in Trubisky’s face. “Good job, Delontae!” somebody referred to as out.
5. Anthony McFarland the RB. Pony look with Anthony McFarland and Benny Snell on the sector. Jet run proper to left for McFarland for 2 earlier than Pierre from his RCB spot tags him up.
6. Joe Haeg working 2nd staff RT. DeMarvin Leal and Henry Mondeaux the DT pairing with Delonate Scott at LOLB and Genard Avery at ROLB. Buddy Johnson and Ulysees Gilbert III the ILBs. False begin by half the road they usually reset. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Warren runs left facet. Good circulation by Leal and it’s solely a acquire of two or three.
7. 12 personnel. Grasp Teague hoping into staff drills and will get the carry proper facet. Carlos Davis acquired off a block and compelled a reduce. Teague spins off a defender and finishes the run 20 yards downfield, attempting to make an excellent preliminary impression.
8. Donovan Jeter and Khalil Davis the DT pairing. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Tyler Vaughns false begins on Pickett’s laborious depend and is taken out of the drill, changed by Cody White. Warren up the center on a RPO for 2.
9. Offensive line of Leglue-Dixon-Gilliam-Owens-Tucker. Mataeo Durant carry up the center. Good circulation by the protection. Mark Robinson fills his hole.
10. Durant flashes a burst of pace left facet for seven. Chris Steele first man there. Predictably, Durant has appeared his greatest on outdoors/perimeter runs.
11. Teague carry proper facet for 3 to conclude the session.
Third Group Session
1. Ball on the offense’s 21. Trubisky beginning off at QB. Trubisky climbs, appears to be like to throw, and finally ends up tucking and operating.
2. Dotson in at LG. Adams and Loudermilk the DTs, Tuszka and Scott the EDGE rushers. Brief throw from Trubisky to Gentry full for 5.
3. Mason Rudolph now in at QB. Rudolph to Cody White proper facet is full for about ten. Witherspoon on the protection.
4. One other completion Rudolph to White for about ten.
5. Trubisky rotates again in. Trubisky to Anthony Miller full for seven left facet.
6. C.Inexperienced-Okay.Inexperienced-Hassenauer-Leglue-Haeg the offensive line. Trubisky full to Connor Heyward on a Hank/over the ball route for 9.
7. Leal/Mondeaux/Carlos Davis the line of defense. Scott and Avery the OLBs with Robinson/Gilbert III the ILBs. Pony personnel. Rudolph’s again shoulder throw left facet meant for Steven Sims is damaged up by James Pierre, who drove on the ball.
8. Leal and Carlos Davis the DTs with Gilbert and Buddy Johnson the ILBs. Rudolph full to Miller on a curl for seven. Justin Layne on the protection.
9. Jake Dixon at left deal with, Chaz Inexperienced at left guard. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Doug Costin and Khalil Davis the DTs. Pickett’s throw for Vaughn on a curl is incomplete proper facet.
10. Linden Stephens at LCB, Chris Steele at RCB, Carlins Platel within the slot. Pickett full this time to Vaughns for 5, Stephens on the tag.
11. McKinley the Z receiver with Connor Heyward slot left. Jace Sternberger the connected tight finish in a two-point stance. Low snap from middle and Pickett has to achieve down for it. Go is tipped on the LOS. Undecided by who – could have been Costin, who has been lively on the LOS this camp. However I’m not fairly positive.
12. Robinson and Johnson the ILBs. Pickett throws proper sideline to McKinley, who bins out Stephens however can’t come down with the catch because the refs transfer in to sign the incompletion.
Fourth Group Session
1. Trent Scott in at RT. Trubisky in at QB. Ball on the offense’s 33. Witherspoon and Sutton the surface corners with Maulet within the slot. Kazee and Edmunds at security, Tuszka and Highsmith at OLB. Carlos Davis and Montravius Adams the DTs. Devin Bush and Robert Spillane the ILBs. Trubisky instantly runs left on what appears to be like like QB energy, although I don’t know if anybody pulled in entrance. He appeared decided to run from the get-go so I don’t know if this was designed or not. However actually issues that couldn’t be completed final 12 months.
2. George Pickens the Z receiver. Empty set, laborious depend. Trubisky full to Zach Gentry for six in opposition to Devin Bush. Calvin Austin III within the slot.
3. Mason Rudolph coming in with the completion to Austin for 3 on a brief curl in opposition to Maulet.
4. Derek Watt sidecar to Rudolph. Throw to Heyward on a dig is off Heyward’s outstretched hand. Good protection by Robert Spillane to pressure a decent throw that fell incomplete, touchdown a pair ft in entrance of Witherspoon who hoped for a greater bounce.
5. Leal/Loudermilk the DTs. Gilbert/Johnson the ILB pairing. Rudolph throw quick proper facet. Gilbert III with tight protection. Didn’t get a hand on the ball however get in McFarland’s approach and the ball hits off McFarland’s arms. I’ll name it a drop.
6. Layne and Pierre the surface corners with Platel within the slot. Gilbert and Johnson the ILBs. Mason Rudolph in at QB. Full to Boykin on a crosser engaged on Layne for a acquire of six.
7. Trubisky again in at QB. Nothing accessible for him with somebody on the protection yelling out “We acquired ’em!” Trubisky lastly rolls proper and hits Warren beneath for a acquire of 4.
8. Gunner Olszewski within the slot. Full to Tyler Vaughns left facet for seven. Delontae Scott beat Joe Haeg inside and compelled Trubisky to maneuver to his proper. A great route by Vaughns to create house on the high and Frisman Jackson let him learn about it. “Good route, give me some!” as Jackson gave him a high-five as Vaughns jogged again to the huddle.
9. Kenny Pickett in at QB. Shovel go to Olszewski up the center however Henry Mondeaux is true there and Olszewski bounces off him like a brick wall. Lack of one.
10. Costin/Jeter the DTs. Pickett has Tyler Snead open over the center. Snead doesn’t have a giant body and has to achieve out for this throw however makes a pleasant diving/falling seize for 13.
11. Pickett display screen proper to McFarland. Witherspoon there and tags him on the LOS, no acquire.
12. Robinson and Johnson the ILBs. T.D. Moultry at LOLB. Pickett rolls left and hits TE Jace Sternberger for 5. Moultry confirmed bust off the sting whereas Leglue at LT acquired walked again into the pocket on a bull rush. Undecided who was on the opposite finish.
Fifth Group Session
1. First two-minute drill of camp. Offense will get one timeout with the ball on their 47. “Officers are administering the drill,” Tomlin says. Could have waited till the refs arrived for the primary two-minute session. Trubisky in at QB, Benny Snell RB. Chaz Inexperienced at LT. He’s in my notes for some motive.
First go is full down the precise sideline to Pickens to the protection’s 36, a acquire of 17. Pickens geese out of bounds to cease the clock.
2. Bunch left. Trubisky full to Austin who sits down in opposition to zone on the 30 for six. Devin Bush on the tag.
3. Trubisky fires left sideline for Cody White. Incomplete with Cam Sutton offering tight protection. Ball hit off White’s hand excessive within the air and over his head.
4. third down. Connor Heyward because the Y tight finish. Trubisky checks all the way down to Benny Snell left facet with Sutton greeting him with a tough thud for this padless day. Initially dominated 4th down however coaches get the “chain gang” to flip to first down. Ball on the 27.
5. Trubisky hits Austin over the center who runs into the tip zone on this non-tackling drill however the ball is positioned on the six. So name it a acquire of 21.
6. 1st and objective, 26 seconds left. Cody White makes the catch in opposition to Sutton ultimately zone however Sutton pushes him out and the go is incomplete.
7. 2nd down. Trubisky hits Pickens behind the tip zone for the TD in opposition to Witherspoon. Good drive by Trubisky
– Mason Rudolph is available in with the two’s. Similar state of affairs. Ball on the 47, one timeout.
1. Full to Steven Sims left facet, James Pierre on the tag. Seven yard acquire.
2. “Twister” is the decision for the staff’s no-huddle. Good technique to describe pace. Completion to Gunner Olszewski for seven extra.
3. Throw down the center of the sector to an open Kevin Rader. Rader makes an incredible catch over his head, full extension, earlier than crashing to the bottom. Acquire of 20.
4. Rudolph checks all the way down to McFarland for 3.
5. Rudolph spikes the ball.
6. Olszewski within the slot. Third down. Rudolph fires for Jace Sternberger however Ulysees Gilbert is on high of him and helps pressure the incompletion. Ball pops out of Sternberger’s chest, who didn’t catch it away from his physique.
7. 4th down. Once more full to Olszewski to the seven in opposition to Platel. Acquire of ten. Timeout occurred someplace round right here, both after this play or #6.
8. 1st down. Jaylen Warren in at RB. Rudolph’s throw to the again of the tip zone is a troublesome one and Sims can’t make a diving seize. Pierre masking. Sims working because the X receiver. Incomplete.
9. Rudolph throw is excessive and principally out of the tip zone. Steelers’ receiver made a fruitless effort to catch the ball however had no probability. Felt extra like a throwaway with not a lot accessible.
There isn’t any seen clock at SVC (it’s on the sector and going through away) like Heinz Discipline final 12 months so I don’t know precisely what occurred. However it seems time ran out as a result of it wasn’t 4th down and the horn blew to finish apply. Rudolph’s drive stalls out on the seven.
– Notes from WR/DB 1v1s. Reminder it is a drill very a lot tailor-made to the offense. Receivers with on a regular basis and house on this planet.
1. Anthony Miller will get on Cam Sutton’s toes and beats him inside for the seize.
2. Gunner Olszewski runs vertical and makes a pleasant catch off Arthur Maulet’s again shoulder, who couldn’t find the soccer.
3. Good route by George Pickens, who rapidly breaks down and creates house in opposition to Ahkello Witherspoon, who can’t fairly match him, and makes the seize on a curl route. Actually good route that we noticed on his school tape.
4. Steven Sims beats Carlins Platel vertically however Sims stumbles out of his break on a nook path to the left pylon. Go is incomplete.
5. Tyler Vaughns makes a pleasant fight catch in opposition to Justin Layne.
6. Calvin Austin bursts away from Maulet and makes the catch.
7. Good throw and catch on a backshoulder body in opposition to James Pierre alongside the left sideline.
8. Tyler Snead plucks the ball away from Platel. Good rep and catch.
9. One other good catch with Miles Boykin reaching out in entrance of him on this in-cut to make the seize in opposition to Linden Stephens.
10. Anthony Miller makes the seize right here to the left sideline however he can’t get each ft in. Refs rule him out of bounds. Maulet masking.
11. McKinely runs a slant to beat Witherspoon.
12. Olszewski stumbles on this in/out route and the go clips off his hand, incomplete. Platel on the protection.
13. Bodily battle between Tyler Vaughns and Chris Steele. Steele excessive factors and bats the ball away.
14. Austin shakes Maulet and makes the seize but it surely’s out of bounds.
15. Go for Cody White is incomplete, Pierre on the protection. Type of a bizarre, extended route with White operating to his proper, standing behind the tip zone for a second, then working again to the again left nook.
16. Sims makes a again of the tip zone catch in opposition to Platel.
17. Good excessive level and seize by Boykin in opposition to Layne.
18. Good shut by Maulet to bat the ball away from Snead.
19. Refs throw the flag on Stephens as he’s throughout Vaughns. Go is incomplete however a transparent penalty.
20. Seems to be just like the refs referred to as OPI on George Pickens, don’t see that always in that drill, as he acquired a hand in Ahkello Witherspoon’s facemask off the road. Go was incomplete anyway.
21. They go another time, Pickens and Witherspoon. Go caught out of bounds, a standard theme of the drill.
– QB rotation selecting up. Each day till now, they’d neatly work the complete staff periods (not seven pictures) in teams of 4. One QB will get performs 1-4, subsequent will get 5-8, ultimate one will get 9-12. Not at the moment. Trubisky and Rudolph have been switching out each two reps performs 1-8 till Pickett acquired the ultimate 4. Deliberate, in fact, however kind of crystalizes the beginning battle between Trubisky and Rudolph.
– Two-minute drill stats.
Mitch Trubisky: 5/7, 53 yards 1 TD
Mason Rudolph: 5/9 47 yards 0 TDs
– WR Tyler Vaughns didn’t check nicely popping out of USC however he’s a greater mover on tape. He’s flashed along with his physique management and route operating.
– Good to see Kevin Rader pop up in my notes with in all probability the catch of the day in staff drills throughout that two-minute session. He’d been fairly quiet so far as a gentle however recognized participant.
– Positively attention-grabbing to see Trent Scott rotate with Joe Haeg at RT at the moment. Didn’t count on that however Scott has a protracted historical past with Pat Meyer so that could be serving to his trigger. Elsewhere on the road, rookie Jake Dixon has lined up throughout up to now and is attempting to extend his versatility, as John Leglue did a 12 months in the past.
– He’s had some battles with Alex Highsmith however general, a pleasant camp for Dan Moore Jr., who’s getting into a giant 2022 season.
– Ought to’ve talked about this in my report yesterday however positively see the bend across the edge for OLB Genard Avery, who registered a 6.90 three cone out of Memphis and was considered a plus athlete. He’s acquired some mass to him, too. Not a small, skinny dude. Delontae Scott retains stacking good days.
– It may be a little bit laborious to inform within the center however Montravius Adams is having a pleasant first week of camp. Explosive first step.
– One other good day general for Ulysees Gilbert III. No less than in protection.
– Ahkello Witherspoon and Cam Sutton doing nicely this summer season. Arthur Maulet made performs in 1v1s. He’s greatest briefly areas and driving on routes versus defending something vertical.
– Carlins Platel an neglected identify benefitting from further reps. Ran 2nd staff slot nook at the moment behind Maulet due to there being no Fitzpatrick/Joseph/Wallace. All trickles all the way down to Platel seeing extra time. His play hasn’t been too nice/horrible however reps are there. And that’s massive.
– He hasn’t been unhealthy however I swear Terrell Edmunds by no means exhibits up in my notes. I believe I’ve written about him like, as soon as, over the primary seven days that wasn’t me simply saying he was operating 1st staff SS. Only a random thought I had at the moment.
Saint Vincent Snapshot
Fast snap of the seven pictures session.
Twitter Camp Query
That’s a little bit robust to gauge. Brief reply, higher. Trubisky and Rudolph have flashed one of the best deep ball by far when it comes to power and placement. It’s a youthful, extra cell group, with out the 85-year outdated knees like Ben had. So I see the arm power and vertical go recreation enhancing, although I believe that’s fairly apparent. Once more, it’s a query of how significantly better. A small step isn’t ok.
Random Steelers’ Reality
The Steelers have had the #1 decide simply thrice in franchise historical past. They used these picks on Invoice Dudley, Gary Glick, and Terry Bradshaw.
George Carlin’s Quote Of The Day
“Some individuals don’t know what they’re doing, and numerous them are actually good at it.”